Forensic phonetics is a specialization within the field of experimental phonetics. Beyond this, forensic phonetics is an interdisciplinary technical and speech technology-oriented specialization within the field of forensic sciences. It includes but is not limited to the application of phonetic-linguistic analyses. Voice-comparison.com is specialised in these domains.
Forensic Voice Comparison
A voice comparison is an analysis of a voice sample of a known speaker as compared to one of a speaker in question. Results towards the identity or non-identity of the speakers are documented in a report.
All reports will be compiled in a timely fashion, independently of the language in question, and can be presented in court.
Voice-comparison.com will adhere to the international guidelines for the conduct of voice comparisons set forth by the IAFPA and will work according to judicial requirements of a country. Methods and results will be presented in an intelligible and transparent manner.
These services will be provided for the presentation of evidence in courts of law, for the police, customs, and other authorities.
I hope that you find the information provided on these pages informative. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions.
Dr Marianne Jessen
Expert Witness Reports
Expert reports in the following domains of forensic phonetics:
- Voice comparison reports for all languages, if possible including automatic speaker recognition.
- Transcriptions and disputed utterances (German only)
- Speaker profiles (German only)
- Consultation with language experts on linguistic aspects of a speaker comparison case if the language spoken is not familiar
- Presentation in court
- Co-operations and recommendations when a report requires the competence of neighboring disciplines
- Foundation of voice-comparison.com in 2005 and owner
- Adj. Asst. Professor at University of Maryland Global Campus since 2018
- PhD in experimental phonetics with forensic specialization
- M.A. in clinical linguistics and phonetics
- Certified lecturer for German as a second language
- Professional experience in voice and articulation physiology and patholgy
- Professional experience in phonetic and linguistic second language patterns
- International academic training in phonetics